Saturday, August 19, 2006

 
August 19
Packing Day

I must admit I am now pretty ready to get off the ship. We’ve slowed way down so we won’t get into San Diego early. They wouldn’t have any place for us to park. But, when you slow a big ship down it ROCKS. And, we’re rocking now.

Also, I think we were all geared to staying on for about 2 months. If our voyage had been the Fall or Spring 100 day voyage we’d still have 3 or 4 ports to go and be right in the middle of everything. As it is, we know this is the end, and we’re mentally ready for it.

I’ve been VERY busy in the library for the past several days. Not only helping with research, but also, shelving, removing books from reserve, shelving, copying the MARC records to a file for Erin, shelving, trying to figure out Find@UVA for the ship, shelving, trying to figure out barcodes, and shelving.

People are starting to want to donate books to the library. Problem is we already own them. Mostly folks don’t want to lug them home. Can’t blame them, but it leaves the “excess book” problem for the library. We’re working on how to handle this for the future. Evidently the older ship had more storage room so they could just store quite a few books in the hold. The MV Explorer isn’t like that. It’s fast, but has less room – like a sports car.

Culture Shock
They used to warn folks about the culture shock they were in for when they returned to the U.S. and their families and schools. I guess there will be some of that, but with the internet, etc. I suspect less these days than formerly. I think it will be a bit hard for those of us who didn’t travel with anyone since we can’t say “remember when….” Don just has to come with next time.

But, I’ll be glad to get back home (note, I don’t say back to work – though, that goes without saying, right?) It’s been wonderful, but I’m ready to get off. Erika will have a wonderful Fall voyage. Just think, AROUND THE WORLD!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?